Review: My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding

I absolutely loved this book, and anyone who loves animals will immediately identify with Clare and her childhood adventures. 

Structuring the novel in such an innovative way- with each chapter devoted to a beloved horse or dog and her life at the time of their existence- makes a refreshing change from the traditional celebrity autobiography. Clare herself is a very talented writer; I loved little Clare as much as my favourite fictional characters, in fact she would make the perfect stubborn and hay-strewn heroine in a children's novel! Be warned that the book is an emotional rollercoaster, I was literally laughing one minute and crying the next, and it is clear from Clare's adorable descriptions of her animals just how much she loved them. 

I have been lucky enough to have been surrounded by many wonderful animals in my life thus far, and this book made me reflect and remember them. It is a book worth taking your time over; I often find it difficult to get through autobiographies as quickly as fiction and this was no exception, although each chapter is an adventure in itself. I would perhaps liked to have read more about grown up Clare, but she has left plenty of scope for a sequel.

5/5 stars: A heartwarming read about a little girl and her beloved animals, and how they shaped her into the inspirational woman that she is today.

Comments

  1. Hi Vicky, found you via bookblogs and now following via GCF. Nice to see a blog that reviews a variety of genres. Feel free to stop by my blog:
    http://languageintheblood.blogspot.fr
    You probably have a busy reading list but if you fancy doing a reveiw of my book (a funny novel about a Scottish Vampire) let me know and I'll get you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by :) Following you back. I'd be happy to do a review, sounds interesting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Summer in Tuscany by Domenica De Rosa

Feature and Follow Friday: Featured Blogger!

Review: The Wardrobe Mistress by Natalie Meg Evans